Timeline

button
1624
First Master Cutler - Robert Sorby
button
1637
The First Cutlers' Hall opposite Sheffield's parish church, now the Cathedral
button
1642
The Civil War begins
button
1649
Sheffield Castle demolished by order of Parliament
button
1676
Awlbladesmiths join the Cutlers' Company
button
1680
The Storehouse established to sell raw materials to local craftsmen and buy back their finished goods
button
1682
Filesmiths and scythesmiths join the Cutlers' Company
button
1689
The Cutlers' Bell for the parish church, cast by Humphrey Wilkinson of Lincoln Bellfounder
button
1718
Purchase of the Beadle's Badge, the Company's oldest piece of silver, - made by Benjamin Pyne of London in 1714
button
1725
The first Cutlers' Hall was demolished and the second was built on the same site
button
1726
Act of Parliament to enable Company of Cutlers to make River Don navigable as far inland as Tinsley
button
1742
Bemjamin Huntsman develops a method for making cast steel, using clay crucibles
button
1748
Thomas Bolsover develops a method of plating copper with a thin sheet of silver - producing 'Sheffield plate'
button
1759
The Cutlers' Company established its own cementation furnace
button
1773
Expenses at Mr Glanvills at the eating of a Turtle which was presented to the Company by Mr John Kaye of Liverpool - £11.11/-; Sheffield Assay Office established
button
1777
A colt 'Why Not' won at the Sheffield Race Course. The Company has the cup
button
1791
Second Act of Parliament which allowed more men to be Freemen
button
1799
The Master Cutler and the Company set up a subscription fund to provide soup for the town’s poor which was distributed from the Cutlers’ Hall for a penny ha’penny a quart
button
1801
Third Act of Parliament with clauses relating to apprentices and the rights of widows to their husband’s mark
button
1814
Fourth Act of Parliament which removed the Company's right to insist that all apprentices were registered with the Company
button
1819
Sheffield Canal, promoted by the Cutlers' Company, opened to Tinsley
button
1832
The second Hall was demolished and the present Hall was built on the same site
button
1834
Donation towards Erection of the Cholera Monument - £20
button
1837
Special Meeting of the Company to discuss problem of imported cutlery bearing the name of English manufacturers
button
1838
Sheffield to Rotherham Railway opened
button
1843
William Jeffcock elected the first Mayor of Sheffield
button
1851
The Company agreed to give £50 towards the 1851 Great Exhibition
button
1855
Bell ringers were paid £2 on the occasion of the Fall of Sebastapol
button
1856
Hall used for a Dinner to Honour the Crimean Heroes
button
1857
Sheffield Chamber of Commerce established
button
1858
Henry Bessemer established his blast furnace in Sheffield
button
1860
Fifth Act of Parliament extending the right to a Freedom to steel and edge tool manufacturers
button
1863
Henry Bessemer established his blast furnace in Sheffield
button
1864
The Dale Dyke Dam disaster, when more than 200 people were drowned
button
1868
Midland Railway constructed giving a direct line to London
button
1875
Trade Marks Registration Act
button
1877
Mr H H Udall of Chilwell, Notts., had applied to use the working Men’s Hall as a skating rink – terms would be £18 a week or £50 a month
button
1879
Mark Firth, (Master Cutler in 1867 and 1868) founded Firth College, forerunner of Sheffield University, in 1879. He was also Mayor in 1874.
button
1885
An Industrial Exhibition held at the Cutlers' Hall
button
1887
Victoria's Golden Jubilee - The front of the Cutlers’ Hall was illuminated with gas-fired decorations and the Company hosted a grand ball
button
1888
Further extensions to the Hall (The Master’s suite)
button
1889
Sheffield Gas Company, for Gas and Repairs, including Illuminations on the Visit of H.I.M.the Shah of Persia; £209.0.7d
button
1899
Siege of Mafeking, during the Boer War
button
1905
University of Sheffield founded
button
1913
Harry Brearley develops a 'stainless' steel for knife blades
button
1915
Razors for the Troops - War Office asked the Company to issue a National Appeal for razors
button
1931
Deposit of Harry Brearley's display of the first stainless steel knife blades and a sealed declaration about them
button
1936
Light fittings and panelling purchased from the dismantled ship 'RMS Olympic' and fitted into the vestibule in the Hall
button
1937
Mrs A E Longden, Sheffield’s first lady Lord Mayor was the first lady to be invited to the Cutlers' Feast
button
1939
Outbreak of World War II
button
1941
Bomb damage to the Hall on 12th December - damage to the roof, the front doors were blown in and windows shattered
button
1944
A fire in the Main Hall on 29th June caused considerable damage to the floor and to the ceiling of the Lower Hall
button
1945
Gift by Stuart Goodwin of Frederick Bradbury's personal silver collection
button
1947
The 7.40am LNER train to Marleybone returning to Sheffield at 6.16pm to be named THE MASTER CUTLER. Mr. Holmstrom (Firth Vickers) agreed to provide four stainless steel name plates
button
1951
Prime Minister Winston Churchill was the Principal Guest at the Cutlers' Feast
button
1954
HM Queen Elizabeth II visited Hall
button
1974
The first lady Freeman
button
1989
Company gave £1000 to the Hillsborough Disaster Fund
button
1991
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh has agreed to be an Honorary Member of the Company
button
1994
The Sheffield Register of Trademarks at the Cutlers' Hall was closed
button
2011
The first lady Master Cutler elected - Mrs Pam Liversidge