The primary objective of the charity is to preserve and maintain, for the benefit of the townspeople of Sheffield in the County of York and for the nation at large, the historical, architectural and constructional heritage of the Cutlers’ Hall.

It is our responsibility to ensure that the Hall is passed on in the best condition possible, for the benefit of those who will come after us.

 

Our primary objective is to ensure the Hall remains the location for the Company of Cutlers to: 

  • promote the region’s manufacturers 
  • support regional charities 
  • encourage education and skills development through apprenticeships
  • ensure its continued relevance for present and future Freemen and manufacturing businesses throughout the region

Current Projects

Roof Appeal

In recent years, the condition of the 14 rooves of Cutlers’ Hall has deteriorated despite ongoing remedial efforts. Over £300,000 is currently being expended on major repairs. This expenditure comes after substantial investment in the interior of the Hall for our 400th Anniversary year.

Rebuilding the Preservation Trust’s reserves is crucial to ensure that future major items of expenditure in maintaining the fabric and interior of the Hall can be covered.

Your charitable donations will support this important work and help preserve the industrial and historical heritage of the region for the benefit of future generations.

The work on the rooves is ongoing and has depleted the Trusts reserves, whilst the Preservation Trust was initiated to ensure essential work could be completed, it is now time to rebuild these funds for future major projects.

Maintaining the Interior of the Hall

Our Grade II* listed building requires continuous maintenance, both internally and externally. With time there have been a number of projects which have taken place internally at the Cutlers’ Hall.

The Hall is a magnificent asset, not only for The Company of Cutlers, but also for Sheffield and the South Yorkshire region, but due to the age of the building, it needs constant care and attention to ensure it is kept in good condition to continue the legacy for future generations.

Below are just some of the images of the renovations and maintenance that have taken place in order to protect the Hall. These include some of the most recent work which has taken place on the Main Staircase.

The current hall was built in 1832, It was designed by two architects, Samuel Worth and Benjamin Broomhead Taylor, who had both submitted plans, but when the Company was unable to choose between these plans, the two architects agreed to work together.  The building cost the Company £8,846.12s.1d, with a further £1,092.3s.2d spent on furnishings.

In 1867, the Hall was extended to the rear, with the addition of the Main Banqueting Hall on the first floor with the Hadfield Hall beneath and in 1888, the frontage was extended westward.

It is a Grade 2* Listed building, privately owned by the Cutlers’ Company, and is considered to be one of the finest Livery halls in the country.  All funds raised by the Preservation Trust go to the maintenance of this building and its 19 associated objectives which include ensuring access to the Hall, providing security for the Hall and its collection, maintenance of the Hall and an educational element, currently delivered by the Company of Cutlers “Better Learners Better Workers” Programme and its Joint Awards scheme which supports students and apprentices in engineering and design.